Thursday, June 14, 2012

Psalm 73 Justice

When thinking about issues of injustice, there are two parties involved in the matter: the oppressed and the oppressor. The transition from injustice to justice also includes the role of the rescuer. I'm sure one can easily call to mind a classic damsel-in-distress-meets-bad-guy-but-is-rescued-by-handsome-prince story. This type of plot excites our hearts because it is actually based on the truth of the Bible, of who God is. We really have a rescuer God--if you don't believe me, check out Psalm 18.


It happens quite often that I watch even 30 seconds of the evening news on any given day and become discouraged to the point of tears. Another sexual abuse scandal. Another kidnapping. Another nation in extreme poverty through political oppression. We know that there are certainly wonderful moments of justice served in our world today, but questions still arises in my heart when it seems that there is more bad news than good. How is the bad guy getting away with it? When is the good guy showing up?

So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper.
But what a difficult task it is!
Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, 

and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked. 
Truly, you put them on a slippery path 
and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction. 
In an instant they are destroyed, 
completely swept away by terrors. 
When you arise, O Lord, 
you will laugh at their silly ideas 
as a person laughs at dreams in the morning. 
Psalm 73:16-20, NLT


I think God's Word speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment